Monday, January 10, 2011

long winded vent

okay so i am no supermom. i have made many, many "mistakes" when it comes to my kids.

i have always used a certain style of parenting because that's just what suited me (us)

i feel like i need to savor every moment of my little boy's lives. i love the rocking, cuddling in bed, nursing to sleep kind of thing.

griff is obsessed with cuddling. he doesn't need/want to be in our bed but he would love it if someone went to his room to cuddle in his bed.

we have always rocked griff to sleep but now that he is three (ridiculous, we know) he gets a shower, some reading time, a small sippy of milk and the he goes to his bed where he can continue to look at books if he wants to.

he doesn't love the new way of doing things but he is doing just fine and is getting used to the idea.

nolan is a whole different story.....my goodness. i am at my wit's end with the child. he is extremely needy, very much attached to me or really anyone who will rescue him from screaming in his bed. if it's kason that goes to get him, fine.
he might be afraid of the dark, maybe he has some separation anxiety...i just don't know. i guess maybe he is just spoiled.

BUT he has never been a good sleeper. he awakes to every little sound. if you open his bedroom door, boom, he's awake. i used to sit in griff's room and fold laundry and go in and out several times and the kid would just keep on sleeping. back to nolan.....starting at 4 months he would wake me up several times a night, every night. he even woke to night nurse until he was a year old.

after i stopped nursing he continued waking in the night but thank goodness it was only once. but let me tell you, the child is 16 months old and STILL wakes me every single night, without fail. he wakes up and cries and cries for someone to come get him. it's usually 2-3 hours after he falls asleep. we have been letting him cry it out at bedtime and it has taken him up to an hour of bloody murder type screaming until he finally gives in to sleep. but i have been rescuing him every night when he wakes because 1.) it's easier to pull him into our bed because the moment he hits my bed, he's out 2.) he and griff share a room and i don't want him waking griffin up. that would be a disaster.

take note that nolan takes one nap a day and it's usually only an hour. so i know that once evening time rolls around he has to be tired and he is. he shows several signs of it.

this brings me to where i am at now, at this moment. i am over it. i am at my wit's end. his crying doesn't make me feel bad anymore, it makes me mad more than anything.

i furiously cleaned out his old bedroom today (the nursery aka. my workout room) and i am saying sayonara to the treadmill (believe me, it will be worth it) and little nolan is going to have his own bedroom where he can scream and cry all he wants. i am not exactly sure what to do when it comes to his night waking though. completely ignore it? no clue. i have tried going in his room and saying "it's night night time. goodnight. i love you" and it always makes him scream louder and harder. what to do, what to do.

i have a book on the way called the no cry sleep solution. i guess it sounded like the best one for us. i am going to read it, apply it and then stick to my guns. i can't have a big ol pregnant belly and a flippin' toddler in my bed. no way. sleeping will be hard enough! i also can't have a night-waking, nursing newborn and a night-waking almost 2 year old. i just can't. i am 100% over it all. i need to get a grip on nolan before this little babe gets here. because you never know what kind of baby this one will be! eeek!

anyway, yes this is a vent. just had to get it out there, into the universe. ha. but honestly, opinions are welcome. i would love to hear from someone who has dealt with sleep issues. because really, this is killing me. slowly killing me.

7 comments:

brittney said...

Jack has had sleeping issues in the past. He would come in our room every night. kill me. So we finally started making him sleep on the floor, that took him a few days to get used to. Eventually I made him stay in his bed. Every time he cried I would just tell him it was dark outside and time to sleep, or that Abby and daddy were trying to sleep. That took a long time, and it usually took multiple times a night for a few weeks to get him used to it. Finally we started leaving the hall light on and that helped a ton. Now when he wakes up he cries for a minute but then gets back to sleep pretty quick. Worked for us, but may not work for everyone! But I was at the point where you are, he cried and I didn't care, and that made me feel bad. But you NEED your sleep, especially with another one on the way:)

Laura Hopper, Midwife said...

(((hugs))) I am sorry you are struggling - I get it! I have a pretty poor sleeper on my hands too.
I totally recommend reading The No Cry Sleep Solution - I haven't put it all into practice, but little bits I have.
A couple thoughts off the top of my head...is there white noise in his room? That might help him sleep longer and through minor disturbances. We have used one with all our kids and now I can't live without it myself.
Are you against letting him sleep on your floor or with Griffin? When our toddlers are about his age, we typically allow them to sleep on our floor or with an older sibling. I figure that I don't like to sleep alone, so it seems silly to expect them to want to. I know it isn't for everyone though.
Hang in there - they do sleep through the night at some point. LOL

Emily said...

you poor thing :( hopefully he'll get the hang of it before baby #3 gets here! just hang in there! sway hasn't ever been as good of a sleeper as krew. you know i've always sworn by the crying it out thing... it's worked so well for us (even though we did it at a much younger age). good luck!! sleeping problems are hard. i've gotten frustrated so easily with the few bumps we've encountered with sway. my fingers are crossed for you!

shaunelle said...

I am so sorry to hear about your "sleeping dilima". I do not have any suggestions. My kids have been really good sleepers! Thank goodness because i would be the same way! Good luck

p.s. we would love to go one of these times so please do not quit asking.

Josh and Nat said...

ok. tate is bawling so i'll be back to leave a comment later. lol

brantley said...

Hey Julie!! I haven't checked your blog in a while, CONGRATS!!! Your first pregnancy without me, hehe! I'm so happy for you!!

brantley :-)

Becky said...

Sounds SUPER hard. I wish I had something to say that would help it get better... but I definitely don't; my kids' struggles have been in different areas. :( Good luck.